Description: The site of Fire Hall #1 was formerly the location of the Methodist mission to the Ukrainian immigrants, called "All Peoples' Mission". The mission was organized in 1910 and opened its own building in 1912. It provided Ukrainian-language services and English classes to Ukrainians in Edmonton until the Great Depression when the focus shifted to providing services to the needy in general. Around this time the mission was renamed the Bissel Insitute. Today the Bissel Centre is one the main service providers to homeless and needy people in central Edmonton in a building not far away.
Member type category: Historic Places